2021 Obesity Course: Etiology, Prevention and Treatment
2021 Obesity: Etiology, Prevention, and Treatment
Release Date: April 15, 2021
Expiration Date: April 14, 2022
Format: Video-recorded lectures split into sixteen review modules
This Obesity course provides an excellent overview for all health professionals; physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and more. For physicians interested in obtaining obesity medicine certification through the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM), this course satisfies the ABOM requirement of at least 30 hours of live CME credit on the topic of obesity.
Upon completion of this activity learners should be able to:
- Understand the influence of weight bias on the care of people with obesity.
- Understand the complexity of the development and treatment of obesity.
- Apply best practice approaches to the prevention and treatment of pediatric obesity.
- Identify, classify and determine appropriate treatment approaches for people with obesity, including lifestyle, advanced pharmacological approaches, and bariatric surgery.
- Create treatment plans for people with obesity that include motivational interviewing, behavior modification, and nutrition and physical activity plans.
- Integrate stress management and sleep hygiene into the evaluation and treatment of people with obesity.
Lifestyle behaviors – including diet, physical inactivity, alcohol abuse, and tobacco use – have been linked to an increased risk of the leading causes of death and chronic diseases in the US and around the world. The challenge of reversing the obesity epidemic has highlighted the need for new ways to teach complex skill sets which effectively target lifestyle behaviors, particularly diet and physical activity. However, most health professionals (apart from registered dieticians) have little or no training in the science of nutrition, diet, and physical activity. Moreover, health professionals lack training in facilitating behavior change. Many, in fact, do not engage in nutrition counseling at all.
The American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM) has established a credentialing protocol, which includes an exam for physicians to become certified in the field of obesity medicine. The Institute of Human Nutrition (IHN) at Columbia University is an ABOM Partner Organization; the IHN now offers its long-standing obesity course to prepare physicians for the ABOM exam and to provide CME credits to help physicians meet the requirements to become a Diplomate of the ABOM.
- The Epidemiology and Health Risks of Obesity, Louis Aronne, MD1
- Genetics of Obesity: Nature Meets Nurture, Rudy Leibel, MD
- Epigenetics and the Development of Obesity, Lori Zeltser, PhD
- Adipose Tissue: White, Brown, and Beige and Why Shades Matter, Marc Reitman, MD, PhD
- Carbs, Calories, or Quality: What Matters Most for Bodyweight, Kevin Hall, PhD
- Body Weight Regulation: Why is it so hard to Keep Weight Off, Michael Rosenbaum, MD
- Obesity and Type II Diabetes: New Thoughts on Pathophysiology and Treatment, Caroline Apovian, MD1
- Is Hyperinsulinemia the cause of Obesity, Inflammation, and Insulin Resistance?, Barbara Corkey, PhD
- Rethinking Food Reward, Dana Small, PhD
- From Brain to Bedside: How Neuroscience Informs Clinical Care for Patients with Obesity, Ellen Schur, MD, MS
- Physical Activity and Weight Loss and Maintenance of Weight Loss, John Jakicic, PhD
- Losing and Regaining Weight: Do the Benefits of the Losses Outweigh the Consequences of Regain? Steven Heymsfield, MD
- Microbiome and Energy Balance, Eamonn Quigley, MD
- Nutrient Metabolism and Obesity: Special Considerations after Bariatric Surgery, Jeffrey Mechanick, MD
- Chronic Stress and Obesity, Rajita Sinha, PhD
- Obesity and Pregnancy, Patrick M Catalano, MD
- Challenges in Women and People of Color with Obesity and Obesity-related Diseases, Fatima Cody Stanford, MD, MPH, MPA1
View a complete list of course lectures
- This course is split into 16 topic-based sections. Participants may interact with the material of their choosing and claim CME according to the amount of material reviewed.
- The system does not track participant progress through the course material.
- Participants are responsible for keeping track of how much material they have reviewed. Each section header lists the time required to complete that section.
- There is one 20 question CME quiz to be completed once the participant has finished completing course material. There are no section-based quizzes.
This activity is best experienced using the most current browser (or one back) of Firefox or Safari. At this time, the Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers are blocking full-screen video viewing.
The Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit Designation Statement
The Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons designates this enduring material for a maximum of 67.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 67.5 MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to the ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the activity, with individual assessments of the participant and feedback to the participant, enables the participant to earn 67.5 MOC points in the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABP MOC credit.
All those involved with the planning and delivery of this education will disclose all financial relationships in the past 24 months with ineligible companies. An ineligible company is any entity whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients. For each financial relationship, disclosure will include the name of the ineligible company and the nature of the financial relationship(s).
Jaclyn Maurer Abbot PhD, RDN
Sharon R Akabas PhD
Caroline Apovian, MD, FACP, FACN, ABOM Diplomate
Tivity Health, Inc., Novo Nordisk Inc., Roman Pharma Inc., Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Curavit Clinical Research, Gelesis, Inc., Zafgen, Inc. & Nutrisystem, Inc.
Louis J Aronne MD, FACP, ABOM Diplomate
Consultant, Advisory Board & Research Funding
Eisai Co., Ltd., Novo Nordisk Inc. & Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Consultant & Advisory Board
Pfizer Inc., Eisai Co., Ltd., Real Appeal, Inc. & Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Equity Interests & Board of Director’s Member
IntelliHealth LLC & MYOS RENS Technology Inc.
ERX Pharmaceuticals & Zafgen, Inc.
Aspire Bariatrics, Inc. & AstraZeneca PLC,
Consultant, Advisory Board, Research Funding & Equity Interests
Consultant, Advisory Board, Equity Interests & Board of Director’s Member
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. & Wellness Pharmacy
Research Funding & Equity Interests
Allurion Technologies Inc.
Ruben D Baler PhD
Bonnie Bernstein PhD
Carolyn Bramante MD, MPH
Joel V Brill MD
Accomplish Health, Ambu A/S, AnX Robotica Corp., CapsoVision, Inc., Cernostics, Check-Cap Ltd., Digma Medical, Diversatek, Inc., Dune Medical Devices, Echosens, EndoGastric Solutions, Inc., FoodMarble Digestive Health Ltd., Gala Therapeutics Inc., Glaukos Corporation, Gynesonics, Inc., Hello Heart Inc., HyGIeaCare Inc., Innovative Health Solutions Inc., Insightec, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Lumendi, Ltd., Mainstay Medical Limited, Mauna Kea Technologies, Medtronic, ModifyHealth, LLC, Motus GI Holdings, Inc., Neuspera Medical Inc., Nuviera, OptumRx, Inc., Pacira BioSciences, Inc., Perspectum Diagnostics Ltd, Proteus Digital Health, Inc., RefleXion Medical, Inc., Respira Therapeutics, Inc., Respiratory Technology Corporation, Senseonics, SonarMD, StageZero Life Sciences, LLC, STRATA Skin Sciences, SWORD Health Technologies, Inc., Tabula Rasa HealthCare, Tusker Medical, Inc., UCB Biopharma SRL, Vertos Medical, Inc., W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., Wright Medical Group N.V. & FAIR Health, Inc.
W. Scott Butsch MD, MSc, FTOS, ABOM Diplomate
Health Consultant, Clinical Advisory Board & Speaker
Rhythm Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Novo Nordisk Inc.
Chris Campagnola CSCS, ACE, LMT
Susan Carnell PhD
An Chen MD, DABOM
Barbara Corkey PhD
Eugene Dinkevich MD, FAAP, ABOM Diplomate
Cristina R Fernandez MD, MPH, FAAP
Madelyn Fernstrom PhD, CNS
Jennifer Orlet Fisher
WW International, Inc. & Nestlé S.A.
Claudia Fox MD, MPH, FAAP, ABOM Diplomate
Novo Nordisk Inc. & Rhythm Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Dympna Gallagher EdD
Kevin D Hall PhD
Sandra G. Hassink MD, MS, FAAP
Kim Hekiminan PhD
Steven Heymsfield MD
Medical Advisory Board Member
Tanita Corporation & Medifast, Inc.
Dayle Hodge MD, MS, PhD
Katie C Hootman MS, PhD, RD, CDN
Faeth Therapeutics, Inc.
Professional education reviewer
Deborah Horn DO, MPH, ABOM Diplomate
Gelesis, Inc., Novo Nordisk Inc. & Currax Pharmaceuticals LLC
Invited faculty to sponsored CME
Advisor & Speaker
Novo Nordisk Inc.
Leon I Igel MD, FACP, FTOS, ABOM Diplomate
John Jakicic PhD
Scientific Advisory Board
WW International, Inc. & Naturally Slim
Ania Jastreboff MD, PhD, ABOM Diplomate
Novo Nordisk Inc., Eli Lilly and Company & Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
American Diabetes Association, Eli Lilly and Company, Novo Nordisk Inc., National Institutes of Health & National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Scott Kahan MD, ABOM Diplomate
VIVUS Inc., Pfizer Inc. & Gelesis, Inc.
Aaron S Kelly PhD
Novo Nordisk Inc., VIVUS Inc. & WW International, Inc.
Abraham Krikhely MD, FACS
Speaker & Proctor
Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. & Surgical Specialties Corporation
Surgical Video Reviewer
Judith Korner, MD, PhD, ABOM Diplomate
FoundHealth, Inc. & Digma Medical
Scientific Advisory Board
GI Dynamics, Inc.
Rekha B Kumar MD, MS, ABOM Diplomate
Novo Nordisk Inc. & Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Gelesis, Inc., Pfizer Inc. & Eli Lilly and Company
Rudolph L Leibel MD
Ruth Loos PhD
Stephen A McClave MD, FACN, FASGE, FASPEN, AGAF
Speaker & Educational Consultant
Abbott Laboratories & Nestlé S.A.
Avanos Medical, Inc. & Baxter Healthcare Corporation
Jeffrey I Mechanick MD FACP, MACE, FACN, ECNU
Advisory Board & Ownership Interest
Ali Mencin MD
Carlos Augusto Monteiro
Diana Rodriguez Moreno
Jamie Mullally MD, ABOM Diplomate
Ramifis Nieto-Martinez MD
Merck & Co., Inc.
Perrie O’Tierney-Ginn PhD
Rebecca L Pearl PhD
Christopher Petrilli MD, SFHM
Eamonn Quigley MD, FRCP, FACP, MACG, FRCPI
Salix Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Novozymes A/S, Vibrant Pharma Inc., Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Allergan plc & 4D Pharma plc
Vibrant Pharma Inc., 4D Pharma plc, & Biomerica Inc.
John Rausch MD, MPH, ABOM Diplomate
Eric Ravussin PhD
Amway Corp., LNC Therapeutics SA, Kintai Therapeutics, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company & Generian Pharmaceuticals
Amway Corp. & Novartis AG
Tirissa Reid MD, ABOM Diplomate
Marc L Reitman MD, PhD
Angela Incollingo Rodriguez PhD
Victoria W Rogers MD
Michael Rosenbaum MD
Leslie Rosenbruch MS, RD, LDN, CDE
Prantik Saha MD, MPH
Katherine H Saunders MD, ABOM Diplomate
Ownership and management interest
Ellen Schur MD, MS
Heather Seid MS, RDN
Sarbattama Sen, MD
Ari Shechter PhD
Alpana Shukla MD, MRCP(UK)
Rajita Sinha PhD
PI of Research Contract
CT Pharma, LLC
Dana Small PhD
Bonnie Spring PhD
Scientific Advisory Board
Reshmi Srinath MD, DABOM
Marie-Pierre St-Onge PhD
PepsiCo, Inc., Nestlé S.A. & WW International, Inc.
Fatima Cody Stanford MD, MPH, MPA, FAAP, FACP, FAHA, FTOS
GoodRx, Inc., Calibrate Health, Inc. & Novo Nordisk Inc.
Beverly Tchang, MD, ABOM Diplomate
Novo Nordisk Inc.
Paul R Thomas EdD, RDN
A. Janet Tomiyama PhD
Richard Weil MEd, CDE
Olivia Weinstein MS, RD, LDN
The Pursuit By You, LP
Penn State University
Boston Medical Center
Jennifer Woo Baidal MD, MPH
Lori M Zeltser PhD
Novo Nordisk Inc.
Jeffrey Zitsman MD
All of the relevant financial relationships listed for these individuals have been mitigated.
Please note that by entering your ABIM/ABP number(s), you are allowing us to share your completion data with the ACCME and the certifying board(s).
Select the Continue button below to begin. You may return later if you are unable to complete the activity at this time.